Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Roma!

I am officially a resident of Roma, Italia! It is crazy to say that. I moved into my apartment last Thursday and have begun my transition into normal (as normal as it can be) life here in the city.

My apartment is in Piazza Campo di Marzio. I live with seven other girls. The apartment is actually a lot nicer that I thought it would be. There are five rooms. Two girls have singles, and the rest of us share the other three rooms. There are only two bathrooms, but we do have a nice common area with a TV. There aren't any English channels, but we have discovered that MTV sometimes plays American shows with Italian subtitles. I’m living with a roommate for the first time in two years. Luckily, she is a very nice girl. Her name is Sandra, and she was born in Bosnia, moved to Germany around age five because of the war, left Germany when her family could not gain German citizenship, and came to America at age 11. She’s trilingual and now trying to learn Italian.

This is what the outside of the apartment looks like. When we drove up I was a little skeptical.


But once I got inside I was pleasantly surprised.


The common room


My room.


View from my room.

It might not seem like much, but less than five minutes away by foot is...


The Pantheon!!!




Tara and I walked around Friday afternoon and saw some of the must-see sights. We went to the Forum, Colosseum, Trevi Fountain and the Victor Emmanuel (Italy's first president) monument. Of course, I'm going to go back to all of them and take tons of pictures and really enjoy their beauty. Friday night we went to Campo di Fiori to hang out. Saturday I randomly walked around and, before I knew it, I was at the Vatican. On Sunday I saw the Spanish steps (Tara was right. It's a little disappointing when you see them in real life. Not as impressive as I had hoped.)

I have some pictures of myself at each of the sights, but I don't really like how they look. Here's one that is OK that I hope leaves you in anticipation for more.



No comments: